Angel Town Combo is LA’s premiere soul jazz, ska and improvisational groove collective.
What to expect:
- A fun, danceable beat all ages and backgrounds enjoy
- A style reminiscent of a classic, late-night talk-show band
- Quality musicianship performed by responsible and friendly musicians
- Improvisational abilities and styles including Soul Jazz, Ska, Stax, Surf Rock, Straight Ahead Jazz, Be-Bop, Blues, Hard Bop, Swing and Soul.
- The ability to perform with or without a vocalist
- Formed in Los Angeles in 2013 under direction of drummer Mark San Filippo
- Debut album released in 2017: Angel Town Combo - Live in Hollywood
- Included on Birth of the 4th Wave of Ska compilation CD on Angel City Records released June 2018
- On the Los Angeles County Arts Commission musicians roster - serving the community through Free Concerts in Public Sites programming
Performance Venue Highlights and Partial Client List:
- KJAZZ Wine & Jazz Summer Concert Series at Hollywood and Highland
- Herb Alpert's Vibrato Grille and Jazz Club
- South Pasadena's Eclectic Music Festival and Art Walk
- Ben Affleck's Eastern Congo Initiative
- Hank Azaria's Determined To Succeed and Playing for Good Poker Tournament
- Matt Damon's Water.org
- Bryan Cranston's National Center for Missing & Exploited Children
- Union Station Homeless Services Thanksgiving in the Park
- The Geffen Playhouse - events honoring Quincy Jones, Mel Brooks, Lin-Manuel Miranda and Dick Van Dyke.
- Academy of Magical Arts Annual Awards Show with Neil Patrick Harris at the historic Avalon in Hollywood and the Magic Castle pre awards show party
- amfAR foundation for AIDS research
- The Entertainment Industry Foundation
- No Limits for Deaf Children
- The DEA Educational Foundation
- META Housing
- LAMP Community
- The Playboy Mansion
- Scratch Wedding Jazz Bands
- Liela Avila (vocals)
- Jason Myers or David Marcus (guitar)
- Aaron Provisor (keys)
- Gabe Davis (bass)
- Scott Steen or Chris Lawrence (trumpet)
- Kyle O'Donnell (saxophone)
- Mark San Filippo (drums/leader)
About band leader, Mark San Filippo:
- Former percussionist of the Los Angeles Junior Philharmonic
- Pasadena City College Jazz Ensmble Award Recipient
- Summa Cum Laude UCLA grad in Ethnomucisology, Jazz Studies concentration
- Teachers: Billy Higgins, Bobby Bradford, Gerald Wilson, Kenny Burrell.
- Performed in Duke Ellington Centennial Celebration at UCLA’s Royce Hall, with Herbie Hancock, and guest conductor Lalo Schiffrin
- Regular performer at Hotel Bel Air, The Beverly Hills Hotel, The Jonathan Club, The Geffen Playhouse
- Musical Director at The Barkley restaurant, South Pasadena
The buzz around town about Angel Town Combo:
"This group has become our in-house live jazz band for all Opening Nights, for our annual Backstage at the Geffen fundraiser, and for major donor events throughout each season. And we wouldn’t have it any other way. Each player brings stellar musicianship, an easy-going personality and true professionalism to each and every event. Their ability to adapt to different settings and match our needs as an organization has been incomparable. For Opening Nights in particular, they’ve varied their styles in a fun way to compliment the genres of our productions. All of our donors, subscribers, partners and staff love Angel Town Combo and have shared how the band’s distinct sound really enriches each event they play at and heightens the overall theater-going experience for all patrons in attendance. It is with genuine love, respect and admiration for Angel Town Combo and band leader Mark San Filippo that I highly recommend them."
- Gil Cates, Jr., Executive Director - Geffen Playhouse
"This stellar group of jazz musicians has added such style, energy and vibrancy to a number of fundraising events I have directed over the past several years, and I cannot recommend them highly enough. Each musician brings their own talents, professionalism and pure love for the music to each and every event, no matter what the environment is. Angel Town Combo is so versatile, from playing in a traditional jazz quartet for Water.org, to expanding into a full Latin sound for a special Colombian celebration hosted by Netflix! They enhance each and every setting they perform in, work seamlessly with others in a variety of high-pressure environments, and are the kindest, most gracious souls I have ever worked with. As musicians, each member of Angel Town Combo is of the highest caliber, and the quality of their overall sound is so special. This group has quickly become the first group I think of when hiring for events in Los Angeles, and I strongly recommend them."
- Regina Miller, Co-Founder of The Artemis Agency
Angel Town Combo will provide the perfect musical addition to any concert, event or party whether you're looking for a small or large combo, an instrumental band or one that includes their singer. Email AngelTownCombo@gmail.com for booking info.